Pumpkin Porter Brewing Session
I made this beer on a whim, had the ingredients and a basic porter recipe. I monkeyed around with the ingredients list till I got what I think might be a good or at least interesting beer.
First of, started with a liter yeast starting using dryed Nottingham British Ale yeast. This yeast has a pretty high attenuation, which I though might balance out some of the sweetness from the pumpkin and spices.
Simply Beer Pumpkin Porter (5 gal All grain)
- 9.5 lbs 2 row
- 1lb crystal 60
- 8 oz crystal 80
- 8 oz chocolate malt
- 8 oz black patent
- 4 oz special B
Mash grains with 1.25 q/lb for 60 min. Then sparge with 170° for 90 minutes. resulting in a total wort collection of 6 gal.
boil the wort for 60 minutes adding the following ingredients at their specified intervals.
- 32 oz Pumpkin puree (60 min)
- 1.75 oz UK Kent Golding, 5.0% (60 min)
- .5 oz Cluster, 7.9% (20 min)
- .5 oz Cluster, 7.9% (10 min)
- 1tsp whole cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp ginger, 2 whole cinnamon sticks (10 min)
- .25 UK Kent GOlding, 5.0%(5 min)
- .25 UK Kent Golding, 5.0% (1 min)
finally cool to 75° or less, transfer to primary vessel, take hydrometer reading. Original Gravity should be about 1.062-1.068. Pitch starter into fermentation vessel and your on your way.
5-7 days Primary
7-14 days secondary
Keg 2 weeks – Drink!